Rationale and Goal: In order to enhance educational opportunities available to postdoctoral fellows, the Office of Postdoctoral Education (OPE) is providing monies to assist with the funding of fellows' participation in educational activities outside of UAB. We believe that helping to provide such opportunities will add to the development and training experiences of postdoctoral fellows as they define their independent career paths.
- The OPE will fund 4 awards per year in the amount of $1500 each to aid fellows in performing educational activities outside of UAB.
- Announcements will be circulated by email to postdocs, school deans, and departmental chairs as well as posting flyers around campus and in the UAB Reporter. The announcement will list the deadline date(s) as well as the application process.
- Interested fellows must submit:
- an updated CV
- a short description (no longer than two pages) of the educational activity as well as the potential benefits to his/her career plans
- a letter from their mentor endorsing this activity
- a letter of invitation from collaborative research faculty or professional organization
- a budget of anticipated expenses
- Following the deadline date, applications will be reviewed and ranked by the Council of Postdoctoral Education (COPE) according to:
- potential impact of the educational activity to the career development of the applicant
- research productivity of the applicant during his/her postdoctoral training as judged by publication and presentations in national and international meetings
- Examples of allowable expenses include internships up to a one month period, attending extramural courses (e.g. NIH, Cold Spring Harbor, Woods Hole, etc) or visiting laboratories to perform collaborative studies. These monies are not to be used for the purpose of travel to local, national or international scientific meetings. Receipt of this award does not guarantee acceptance into the desired educational activity; similarly, acceptance into a desired educational activity does not guarantee receipt of 'The Office of Postdoctoral Education Career Enhancement Award'.
- All award winners must submit a short written report detailing their experiences before expenses will be reimbursed. Expenses are reimbursed upon submission of appropriate receipts according to expenditure guidelines.